Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Why running 20 miles on a treadmill is torture and highly recommended during Marathon training

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor a trainer, or a running coach, This is simply my own opinion.

Running 20 miles is a daunting training task. It is often the mileage that many people will train up to during marathon training.

It was the furthest distance I completed during my marathon training, however, I completed my final 20 mile jog/walk 2 days before the first race of the Dopey Challenge!

Stupid? Dumb? Crazy? Dopey? - Yeah, I know.

I hadn't run much since Wine and Dine after getting pretty sick, and having emergency acid nail bed surgery, I wasn't cleared to run until a week before Marathon day!

For me, It was mental, I needed to know that I could keep pace, and complete 20 before going into Dopey.

It was boring 5 hours on that treadmill!

Running to nowhere is no fun, I am pretty sure my apartment complex thought I was crazy on the same treadmill for a good chunk of the afternoon. I did it, though, and the end result made me feel so much stronger, and ready to conquer those 48.6 magical miles that upcoming weekend.


What helped me through the miles?

Besides my long, toned, elite runner legs ( I Wish!) I would like to attribute my  success to Huma gels, margarita flavored shot blocks, free wifi in the gym, Apple for making iPads so portable, Netflix for providing me endless episodes of friends, Audible for having the Neil Patrick Harris Choose your own Adventure Autobiography (Highly recommend! It's hilarious & 10x better with NPH reading it!) & Spotify for allowing me to search any genre of music to get me through the wall (except Taylor Swift, which would really have been nice around mile 17!)



I highly recommend the long treadmill run to be incorporated into training, because it its a totally different experience. If you can walk, jog, or run, on a treadmill for a long period of time, you can conquer anything!


Post 20 mile training Run. I am Dopey Ready!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment